Thursday, 31 May 2018

Sailor Dies of Suspected Electrocution Aboard Ship


On May 26, a sailor died of suspected electrocution onboard a container vessel when it was docked in Dubai.

What happened?

The Dubai Police have initiated an investigation to look into the death of an Indian sailor who died of suspected electrocution onboard a cargo ship.
The marine engineer identified as 31 year old, Himanshu Sanghvi from Mumbai, India was working onboard the container ship ‘MSC Samantha’ during the time of electrocution. He was electrocuted while trying to fix an electric bulb.

Investigation launched

Lt Col Saeed Al Madhani, deputy director of Port Police Station, was alerted about an incident of death in a ship on Saturday and they suspected it was due to electrical shock.
He said, “An Indian sailor passed away and we are investigating the case. We are checking the electric circuit in the ship as we suspect electric shock being the reason of death. We are also waiting for the forensic report before handing over the body to his family”.
His wife and parents have been informed by the company about his death due to electrocution.

Indian embassy offers support

A relative of the deceased has sought the help of Indian Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj and the Indian Consulate in Dubai then offered to support the family.
They issued a statement, “We’ve spoken to the local police authorities as well as his friends, colleagues and relatives. We’ll extend all assistance. The forensic and investigation formalities are expected to take at least a few days. We’ll continue to follow up”.
When contacted, the mission said it would provide assistance to repatriate the body of Himanshu once the legal formalities by the local authorities are over.
Did you subscribe for our daily newsletter?
It’s Free! Click here to Subscribe!
Source: Gulf News


0 Comments:

Post a comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home